NEWS
23/07/2015 15:11 BST | Updated 23/07/2016 06:12 BST

Mother Urges Web Clampdown On Sale Of DNP 'Diet Pills' After Daughter's Inquest

The mother of a student who died after taking toxic "diet pills" has called for a clampdown on websites selling potentially deadly drugs.

Speaking after hearing how her daughter sent a "heartbreaking" text saying she knew she was dying, Fiona Parry called for tighter controls of on-line sales of dinitrophenol (DNP).

The inquest heard that 21-year-old Eloise Parry, from Shrewsbury, died within hours of taking eight DNP tablets in April this year.

After the hearing at Shropshire's Shirehall, her mother said: "I would very much like to see much harsher and stiffer penalties for distributing and supplying this substance."

Ms Parry, a chemistry teacher, added: "Looking good should never cost you your health or your life.

"It's been difficult to listen to the events that led to my daughter Eloise's death and there's a certain amount of relief the inquest is now over.

"And I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who tried to help her in the days, weeks and hours leading up to her death."