09/08/2015 16:02 BST | Updated 09/08/2016 06:12 BST

Met Police Officers And Paramedics Attacked By Masked Mob At Party

A 400-strong masked mob attacked police and paramedics with bottles and bricks after a party spiralled out of control.

Officers came under "sustained attack" in north-east London last night after they were called out to deal with the late night revellers, Scotland Yard said.

Hundreds of party-goers turned on the police, hurling bricks and bottles off the balcony of a block of flats at the officers below and blocking their police cars in with bins.

Riot police, dog units and a helicopter were drafted in to deal the riot, which erupted at around 11.40pm in Stoke Newington.

One onlooker said the scenes reminded him of the 2011 London riots, where widespread disorder broke out across the capital.

He said on Twitter: "Looks like 4 years ago the #LondonRiots."

Fights erupted among the mob and officers later discovered a knife in a search of the area.

The London Ambulance Service also said staff had come "under attack" as bottles were thrown.

A picture on the London Ambulance Service's Joint Response Unit twitter account (@LAS_JRU) shows a a police officer protecting a paramedic who is treating a patient.

The caption reads: "One of our operatives is protected by MPSHackney while treating patient in difficult environment #999family". 

Detective Chief Inspector Cath Edginton, from Hackney police, branded the riot "wholly unacceptable" and said "fortunately" no officer was injured, although one member of the public was treated by paramedics for breathing problems.

It took police around two-and-a-half hours to disperse the group after trouble flared.

Scotland Yard said: "When officers arrived, they were confronted by more than 400 people, many of whom were wearing face masks.

"Shortly after the officers arrived, they came under a sustained attack with bottles, bricks and other items thrown at them from balconies. A number of bins were also pushed towards police vehicles."

Ms Edginton said: "A number of residents had contacted police to complain about the noise levels at the party and it was for this reason that officers attended.

"To be confronted by hundreds of people and attacked in this way is wholly unacceptable. It is fortunate that none of my officers were injured.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to appeal to anyone who witnessed the events or has information about the people responsible to contact the police."

No arrests were made during the disorder but police are trying to identify and track down those involved.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.