- Could ITV's New 'Voice' Deal Spell The End For 'X Factor'?
- Boy George Addresses Paloma Faith 'Voice' Row
- Simon Cowell Has A Rare Moment Of Sympathy For The BBC
The presenter is reportedly a frontrunner to land the job on ITV’s version of the talent show, after it was revealed it would be leaving the BBC following its fifth series next year.
“Dermot is hugely popular with viewers and knows exactly what he’s doing - there’s no better choice for a host and he will be first in line.”
While it was believed to have been his choice to leave, he reportedly made the decision after hearing Simon was looking to replace him anyway.
The future of ‘The X Factor’ is currently uncertain amid the show’s sliding ratings, as it’s current contract with ITV ends in 2016 - just months before ‘The Voice’ comes to the channel.
The BBC announced last week that they had lost the rights to the show.
Acting director of television at the BBC, Mark Linsley, said: “We always said we wouldn’t get into a bidding war or pay inflated prices to keep the show, and it’s testament to how the BBC has built the programme up – and established it into a mainstay of the Saturday night schedule – that another broadcaster has poached it.”
However, Kaiser Chiefs frontman Ricky has already ruled out appearing on the ITV series, revealing he will quit the show when it leaves the BBC.
“This is my last one anyway… I don’t think ITV would want me. They would want to have a totally new show,” he told The Mirror earlier this week.