25/05/2016 12:25 BST | Updated 26/05/2017 06:12 BST

Bus Driver Went To Work Morning After Winning Lottery Millions

A bus driver has described trying to stay calm after learning he had won a £6.1 million Lotto jackpot during his morning rush-hour shift.

Grandfather Kevin Jones, 57, who works for the D&G bus company, had just finished the first leg of his route covering his home town, Crewe, to Newcastle-under-Lyme when he got a phone call.

He said: "I had just arrived in Newcastle when my phone rang and it was my wife Michele telling me we really had won the lottery. It was just so much to take in.

"I tried to remain calm. I knew I had to drive the bus back to Crewe and look after all of my passengers."

He immediately phoned his boss to say he really needed to finish his shift as "something major had happened" which may affect his concentration.

"My boss was naturally very concerned and said I really had to tell him in case this could affect my passengers. I just said to him 'Don't worry, it isn't bad news, it is the most incredible news ever - I have won the Lotto jackpot!"

Mr Jones said the £6,162,138 win from the National Lottery May 18 draw was "incredible luck" after the family lost everything in a double burglary years ago.

He said: "Several years ago we had nothing. We were living in Spain and suffered two break- ins over one weekend and lost everything. Michele was so frightened we just drove back to England straight away and had to start all over again."

Mr Jones said he was working 12-hour shifts to make ends meet.

"It is just amazing that this has happened. To think we had nothing and were working around the clock and now we have this. We really can now start to live the life of our dreams - something we never believed would happen to us."

He described checking his numbers online, and watching as all six matched.

"I just screamed out to Michele ... I think I have won the lottery! She said 'Great - is it £25?' And I said 'No, I have won the jackpot!'"

He continued: "All I could think about at that moment was to try to stay level-headed as nothing had been officially confirmed.

"There was no way I couldn't go into work the following day - I know how much people rely on me for their morning commute. I went to bed then got up the following morning and went into work as planned, asking Michele to call Camelot to see if what I thought had happened really was reality."

He said looking after Michele, his two children, Andrew, 30, and Lorraine, 32, will be a priority, together with his five-year-old grandson Joshua.

Mr Jones matched numbers 1, 3, 28, 34, 37 and 46 with a ticket bought from McColls in Hungerford Road, Crewe.