17/05/2020 15:58 BST | Updated 18/05/2020 08:43 BST

Man Interviewed By Police Over Death Of Belly Mujinga

The ticket officer died in April after being assaulted while working at Victoria Station.

Get the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.

A man has been interviewed in connection with an incident involving a railway worker who died with coronavirus.

Belly Mujinga, 47, died after being spat at on the concourse of Victoria Station in London.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “Following a number of inquiries into an incident at London Victoria station on March 21, officers identified a 57-year-old man from London in connection.

“He was interviewed under caution today at a London police station.

“Detectives will continue to collate evidence and investigate the circumstances behind the incident.

“They are not looking to identify anyone further in relation to the incident.”

HuffPost UK revealed on Wednesday that the assault on Mujinga, a ticket officer, had not been reported to police for seven weeks. 

According to Mujinga’s union, the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA), Mujinga had been left extremely shaken by the incident and urged her bosses at Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) to call the police.

Undated family handout photo issued by Agnes Ntumba of her sister Belly Mujinga, 47, who has died of coronavirus after being spat at while on duty.

She is said to have pleaded not to be sent back outside, asking instead to work from inside the ticket office. Mujinga had underlying health issues for which she had taken time off work previously, and said she was scared for her life.

The request was allegedly refused and Mujinga was sent back out on the concourse. She died on April 5, leaving behind an 11-year-old daughter Ingrid, and husband Lusamba Gode Katalay.

British Transport Police (BTP) has confirmed to HuffPost UK on Wednesday it was only made aware of the incident on May 11, seven weeks on. It also said the original date given for the assault, March 22, was incorrect, and it in fact took place the previous day.

At the time of reporting, GTR made no further comment other than to say it was investigating the allegations station bosses had forced Mujinga to keep working outside after the attack.