No matter how hard you fight it, an Instant Pot is almost certainly going to weasel its way into your life at some point.
The New York Times has written about it as “The Kitchen Gadget That Spawned A Religion.” Devotees of the appliance have branded themselves as “Potheads.” And almost more significantly, your Aunt Kathy in Florida has been posting to an Instant Pot Facebook group for the past year. Face it, the Instant Pot is officially mainstream.
Even if you already own two slow cookers and three different types of rice cookers, the Instant Pot can achieve a few things those devices can’t. Among the latest model’s functions are slow cooker, rice/porridge cooker, cake maker, yogurt maker, sauté/sear, steamer, warmer, sterilizer and most importantly for the purpose of this article, pressure cooker.
The pressure cooking function is a lifesaver for anyone who wants to turn big hunks of meat into tender, fall-off-the-bone deliciousness in a freakishly short amount of time. And if you’re someone who cooks a lot of legumes, the pressure cooker allows you to cook dried beans ― which typically require soaking overnight and several hours of cooking ― in less than an hour total, from start to finish. The Instant Pot’s pressure cooker feature doesn’t function much differently than a classic pressure cooker, but it gives you the benefit of being combined with about eight other appliances.
Pro tip: If you’re looking for Instant Pot recipes that take advantage of the pressure cooker feature, you don’t have to search specifically for “Instant Pot recipes” or buy cookbooks specifically written for Instant Pots (though Melissa Clark’s is exceptional, if you want one). Just search the internet or old cookbooks for “pressure cooker recipes,” which have existed for decades, and use those recipes interchangeably with the Instant Pot.
In the meantime, below we’ve collected some of our favorite recipes from bloggers. They all use the pressure cooker feature of the Instant Pot, so take your pick and find out what Aunt Kathy’s fuss is all about.
- 1Instant Pot Chicken And Spinach RamenHalf Baked Harvest
- 2Life-Changing Instant Pot Beef StewPinch of Yum
- 3Instant Pot Chicken Tikka MasalaSavory Tooth
- 4Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs And Spaghetti SquashHalf Baked Harvest
- 5Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla SoupPeas and Crayons
- 6Instant Pot Spicy White Bean Beef StewHalf Baked Harvest
- 7Pressure Cooker Ropa ViejaA Calculated Whisk
- 8Instant Pot Mac And CheesePinch of Yum
- 9Instant Pot Spicy Pineapple Chicken TacosHalf Baked Harvest
- 10Instant Pot Wild Rice SoupPinch of Yum
- 11Instant Pot Mashed PotatoesPinch of Yum
- 12Instant Pot One-Pot Spaghetti With Meat SauceSkinny Taste
- 13Instant Pot Red Beans And RiceA Pinch of Healthy
- 14Instant Pot Chicken CacciatoreLexis Clean Kitchen
- 15Spicy Instant Pot Carrot SoupPinch of Yum
- 16Instant Pot Minestrone SoupPinch of Yum
- 17Instant Pot Pumpkin Walnut ChiliPinch of Yum
- 18Instant Pot Korean Beef TacosPinch of Yum
- 19Instant Pot Macaroni And Cheese Five WaysFoodie Crush
- 20Instant Pot PicadilloSkinny Taste
- 21Instant Pot Chicken Noodle SoupNumber 2 Pencil
- 22Instant Pot Pork CarnitasCooking with Curls