A cultural conversation surrounding mental illness is critical for compassion. And these public figures are nailing it.
There is still so much stigma surrounding mental illness ― between doctors not taking it seriously, the media disproportionately associating it with violence and suicide rates continuing to rise. Research shows that prejudicial attitudes toward mental health disorders prevent people from seeking medical treatment.
That’s why continued public advocacy is so important. It sends the message that it’s not only okay to live with a mental health issue, but you’re not alone in doing so.
Take a look at some of the most encouraging words celebrities have said about mental health this year. Stigma is officially no match for them.
- Kristen BellGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Bruce SpringsteenGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Hillary ClintonGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Cara DelevingneGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Prince WilliamGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Lena DunhamGetty ImagesHuffPost
- JoJoGetty ImagesHuffPost
- President Barack ObamaGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Rachel BloomGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Sarah Jessica ParkerGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Ellie GouldingGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Prince HarryGetty ImagesHuffPost
- Winona RyderGetty ImagesHuffPost
If you or someone you know needs help, call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Outside of the U.S., please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of resources.