To the uninitiated,
Cruising With Jane McDonald might sound like a cute little travel show, but if you know anything about (a) cruising or (b) Jane McDonald, you’ll know that it is a recipe for ridiculousness on the high seas.
Over six series, the Channel 5 show has served up a multitude of camp moments, as each week our Jane boards a luxury ship and explores some hidden gems among the destinations she travels to, even winning a Bafta in the process.
And in a rare piece of good news for 2020, it has been
announced that Jane has gone back on her decision to quit the series, having previously said she was stepping down to focus on her music career.
In celebration of Jane’s “fabulous” U-turn, we’re counting up the reasons why the show holds such a special place in our hearts.
1. First off, there is ALWAYS a drink involved
2. And plenty (and we mean PLENTY) of innuendo 3. It doesn’t matter what she’s doing or where she’s doing it, it’s always “fabulous” 4. She might be a seasoned cruiser, but Jane still gets very excited when she boards the ship and gets to see her cabin for the first time 5. She sees underfloor heating as the height of luxury
6. And don’t even get her started on small details like a nice net curtain or a washing line in the bathroom 7. But NOTHING beats a big comfy bed, which she is always keen to road test
8. In fact, you’ll never see her happier than when she finds out the pillows are goose down 9. The ship leaving the port is always celebrated with – you guessed it – a drink
10. Then follows a guided tour of the ship with Jane’s trusty selfie stick
11. It’s not long before she’s made friends with all the passengers and is enjoying a drink with them at the bar
12. As the trip unfolds, you will never see Jane in the same outfit twice, and you’ll wonder how the hell she fits it all in her case 13. Whenever she disembarks the ship, she gets a bit jaunty as she minces off on an exploration 14. Her encounters with the locals are always delightful
15. Her excursions are always full of culture and history
16. And she never misses an opportunity to ingratiate herself into her new surroundings
17. Even if that means getting to grips with some four-legged friends
18. She’s never afraid to make a total fool of herself 19. And loves nothing more than raiding the dressing up box
20. While you might not think of our Jane as much of a daredevil, she’s actually game for any stunt that’s thrown at her
21. And whenever there’s some description of heights involved, you can expect her to proclaim herself “the queen of the world”
22. At the end of a long day, she’ll be seen kicking back with a drink
23. You’ll regularly be able to spot Jane’s best friend and hairdresser Sue in the back of various shots, and quite frankly, she doesn’t get half the amount of airtime she deserves 24. While out and about, she always takes the chance to remind everyone of her vocal prowess
25. Even in the most unlikely of places (apparently caves have “good acoustics”)
26. Did someone mention a drink?
27. Jane greatly enjoys checking out the local sights, if you catch our drift 28. And it’s not long before she’s made some gentleman friends
29. Time for another tipple 30. Jane likes to mix her excursions up with trips to local food factories or kitchens, which is where she comes over all Delia Smith
31. She really does relish in sampling every cuisine
32. And indeed drinks
33. Whenever she visits somewhere famous for its dancing, she’s always quick to demonstrate why she’d be perfect on Strictly 34. There’s a game to be played on how many times she mentions her beloved home town of Wakey
35. Or wistful looks out across the ocean
36. Or “fabulous” sunsets
37. And when ever she’s seen or experienced something that she says she’d “never do in a million years at home”, it’s quickly followed by: 38. And at least once every episode, she will also proclaim (usually with a drink in her hand): 39. When Jane gets to meet the captain, there’s plenty of flirting, which is usually followed by an invitation to join the top table at dinner
40. On the days at sea, Jane makes a beeline for ship’s spa
41. Followed by the bar, obvs 42. And of course, every episode finishes with a specially recorded song to sum up her latest holiday 43. Complete with ridiculous accompanying video
Long may Jane’s adventures continue