The “OutFront” host repeatedly welled up as Maura Lewinger recalled her 42-year-old husband Joe’s battle with the virus and highlighted the importance of social distancing measures and stay-at-home orders in combating its spread.
“I’m sorry, it made me cry,” Burnett said at one point in the 17-minute chat in which she also aired heart-wrenching tributes to father-of-three Joe Lewinger, an assistant principal at The Mary Louis Academy in Queens, New York.
In recent days, Burnett’s fellow CNN anchors Don Lemon and Brooke Baldwin have also choked up on air while reporting on the pandemic that has now sickened more than 1.1 million people worldwide. There are more than 277,000 confirmed cases in the U.S., where upwards of 7,400 have also died.
Lemon was on Tuesday visibly emotional while talking about the positive diagnosis of his friend and CNN colleague Chris Cuomo.
Check out the interview here:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Why it might take weeks for people and businesses to get government relief
- How to feel less lonely during social distancing if you live alone
- I just got out of a COVID-19 ICU. Here’s how I made it through.
- How to make a no-sew coronavirus face mask
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.