‘Top Gear’ has received more bad news, with ratings from this week’s show slumping to a new record low.
2.3million viewers tuned in for Episode 4 of the revamped series, a further dip from last week’s then record low of 2.4m.
4.1million viewers watched the debut episode of the series, but they haven’t stayed with Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and co, despite the team’s desperate recruitment of star guests and dazzling concepts.
Last night’s show saw Professor Brian Cox and Bear Grylls join Chris Evans for the celebrity spot, but they were perhaps been victims of scheduling as much as of Chris Evans’ reported unpopularity with viewers.
‘Top Gear’ was last night up against a Euro 2016 match, Switzerland versus France, and ‘Coronation Street’ over on ITV.
On the bright side, those viewers who did tune in were full of particular praise for rising stars Chris Harris and Rory Reid, both of whom featured in their segments - driving an Aston Martin Vulcan and a Tesla Model X respectively - while Eddie Jordan’s playing the spoons on the Orient Express effectively stole the entire show.
Meanwhile, the beleaguered team has received some support from a surprise quarter. ‘Countryfile’ host Adam Henson has come up with a novel way of improving ratings… at this point, anything might be on the table.
Chris Evans was quoted at the weekend, saying he expects every day to be sacked… from his Radio 2 breakfast slot. The Sunday People reports him explaining: “I wake up every morning expecting to have been sacked by lunchtime. Then when I’m not, the rest of the day is really chipper."
Tap the first picture below to open the slideshow:
- 25 March 2015Barcroft Media via Getty Images
- 24 April 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 16 June 2015Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 30 July 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 28 November 2015Frederick M. Brown via Getty Images
- 22 December 2015Barcroft via Getty Images
- 23 December 2015Hirz via Getty Images
- 4 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 11 February 2016BBC
- 26 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 19 January 2016UniversalImagesGroup via Getty Images
- 10 February 2016NBC via Getty Images
- 13 March 2016PA
- 14 March 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 31 March 2016BBC
- 12 April 2016BBC
- 13 April 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- Apart from that...BBC