The perfect compliment to any baking has to be a good cup of tea. These two great British traditions just marry so well together so afternoon teas are right up my street.
afternoon teas are a lovely way to bring friends and family together and to sample delicious sarnies, sweets and treats. You don't have to be really fancy, the home baking touch works wonders, as long as it is something you can share.
A lovely alternative to brownie is one of my Dream Tea recipes for children's charity Dreams Come True - the butterscotch walnut blondie. Packed with white chocolate, walnuts and brown sugar this tray-bake is quick and simple to make as a delicious tea-time treat. The fudge bakes to create delicious butterscotch morsels that are moreishly good in every mouthful!
To make these, you will need:
150g white chocolate, melted
50g white chocolate, chunks
150g unsalted butter, softened
250g light soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
150g plain flour
100g walnut pieces
100g vanilla fudge, chopped into chunks
50g white chocolate, melted
a handful of crushed walnuts
3 tablespoons of Nestle caramel, warmed
• Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or carefully and gently in the microwave.
• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a tray bake tin with baking paper or ideally foil backed baking paper.
• Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla then beat in the eggs at high speed. If making my hand, whisk furiously with a balloon whisk.
• Fold in the flour,
• Put a handful of fudge, walnuts and white chocolate chunks to one side then fold the remainder into the mixture.
• Sprinkle the reserved nuts, fudge and chocolate on top before putting into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
• Leave to cool in the tin before turning onto a chopping board and drizzling with chocolate, caramel and more walnuts.
Once cooled, slice into mini squares and serve with a cuppa!
Miranda Gore Browne is an amabassador for children's charity Dreams Come True. For more information, visit www.dreamscometrue.uk.com/dreamtea