Metropolitan Police Launch New Probe In Response To Tottenham Riots
Police have launched a major investigation in response to Saturday night’s riots in London which left 26 officers injured, buildings in Tottenham High Road burnt to the ground and shops looted.
Fifty-five people have so far been arrested after the violence.
On Sunday evening police said further disorder was possible: “We are aware of various reports on social media networks of further disorder being planned and any intelligence will be assessed and actioned. A policing operation is in place across London and local officers are on the streets in Tottenham.”
Adrian Hanstock appealed for the public to help the police’s investigation, codenamed Operation Withern.
He said: "Anyone who has any information about those responsible for these offences that rocked the heart of the local community please get in touch with us. The disorder and violence we saw last night was pure criminality and cannot be justified. We are determined to arrest those responsible.”
"If you know of anyone who was involved or may be planning a repeat of the scenes we saw last night, please let us know. Any information can be passed to police anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."
Police are currently taking statements, reviewing CCTV and examining the area as part of the investigation into the disorder.