Cosmetics giant L'Oreal has pledged to help those investigating how a 38-year-old woman collapsed after using a home hair dye and ended up in a coma.
The family of mother-of-two Julie McCabe, from near Keighley, West Yorkshire, believe she suffered a reaction to chemicals in the L'Oreal Preference hair dye she used on October 30.
Now they are at her bedside at Airedale General Hospital, where she had been ever since.
Her father Keith Miller told the Yorkshire Post: "She is in a coma. We've spoken to the doctors and they have more or less said to us the condition she is in now is most likely how she will stay. They are not giving us much hope."
Mr Miller, 63, from Shipley, said his daughter was taken ill and called for help from her husband Russell after using the dye.
He said she was struggling to breathe and then her heart stopped.
The family is concerned the chemical para-phenylenediamine (PPD) could be to blame and say they want it banned. But there is not yet any proven link between the chemical in the dye and Mrs McCabe's illness.
In a statement, L'Oreal said: "L'Oreal was extremely concerned to hear about this serious situation.
"We do not know the details of the case so it would be inappropriate for us to comment further, however we will do everything we can to assist this lady's family and medical team with information they might need to establish what happened."
Earlier this month, 14-year-old Chloe Robins, from Southampton, said she suffered an extreme allergic reaction which saw her head swell to twice its normal size after using a hair dye containing PPD.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more