A handyman was killed when an empty oil drum exploded as he attempted to make a home made barbecue.
The 48-year-old, named in reports as Ian Simpson, was working in his brother's garden in Horspath, Oxford, on Friday evening when he suffered serious head injuries.
It is believed he was cutting into the metal drum with an angle grinder and a spark may have ignited fumes inside the 40 gallon vessel, which was reportedly catapulted over a 4ft high fence.
Mr Simpson, who is yet to be formally named by police, was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital but later died from his injuries.
A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: "Officers were called at around 7.50pm on Friday night to a property in College Way, Horspath, following a report that a man had suffered serious injuries while he was working in a garden.
"The man, aged 48, was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital where he subsequently died from his injuries."
Det Con Rachel Jackson said the circumstances surrounding Mr Simpson's death were being investigated by officers.
She said "Although at this stage we are currently treating this death as unexplained, we do not believe it to be suspicious."
The death has been passed to the Oxfordshire Coroners' Office and a post-mortem examination is expected to take place in the coming days.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more