UK

Dale Cregan On Hunger Strike In Bid To Move Prison

26/08/2013 14:12 BST | Updated 26/10/2013 10:12 BST
Getty
UNSPECIFIED: In this undated handout image provided by Greater Manchester Police, Dale Cregan is pictured in a custody shot. Verdicts were returned today at the end of a 12-week trial involving Dale Cregan and nine other defendants. Cregan who had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to the murder of PC Nicola Hughes and to her police colleague Fiona Bone, and later pleaded guilty to the murders of Mark Short and David Short, was found not guilty by a jury of one count of attempted murder. Four of the other defendants were found guilty of their part in the murders of David and Mark Short. Luke Livesey, 28, and Damian Gorman, 38, were found guilty of the murder of Mark Short and three counts of attempted murder. Jermaine Ward, 24, was convicted of the murder of David Short and attempted murder. Anthony Wilkinson, 33, pleaded guilty to the murder of David Short and found guilty of attempted murder. Another defendant Mohammed Imran Ali, 23, was found guilty of assisting an offender in connection with the death of David Short. (Photo by Greater Manchester Police via Getty Images)

One-eyed police killer Dale Cregan has gone on hunger strike in an apparent bid to be moved to another prison.

The 30-year-old was jailed for life in June for the ruthless murders of two unarmed policewomen and a father and son.

He is now refusing food at HMP Full Sutton, near York, reportedly in an attempt to get transferred to Strangeways prison in Manchester.

Jonathan Reynolds, Stalybridge and Hyde MP, told the Daily Mirror he believes Cregan is just trying to grab people's attention.

Mr Reynolds said: "He is clearly proud of the reputation he has gained and this is now one of the few ways he has of getting the attention that he craves.

"Hopefully he will be dealt with accordingly and can get right back to serving his sentence in whichever way the authorities see fit."

Strangeways is closer to the notorious gangster's hometown of Droylsden, Greater Manchester, and his family.

He is currently believed to be in segregation at Full Sutton to shield him from ongoing safety threats, with reports suggesting there is an underworld reward of £20,000 for anyone who damages his remaining good eye.

A Prison Service spokeswoman refused to comment on Cregan's status or condition, but added: "We take food refusal extremely seriously.

"If a prisoner chooses to refuse food for any reason, the Prison Service works with healthcare staff to monitor their physical and mental health.

"Prisoners who are considered mentally capable are entitled to refuse health interventions, provided they fully understand the consequences of their decision."

Cregan lured Pcs Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, to their deaths in a horrifying gun and grenade attack on September 18 last year.

He had gone on the run days before killing David Short, 46, last August after gunning down his son, Mark, 23, at the Cotton Tree Pub in Droylsden three months earlier.

The manhunt reached a ghastly conclusion when Cregan ambushed the constables following a bogus 999 call to a house in Abbey Gardens in Hattersley.

He was given a whole life sentence at Preston Crown Court in June.