Huffpost UK uk

Krokodil, Meth, Bath Salts & Magic Mushrooms: The Scariest Drug Stories And Pictures

Posted: Updated:

The horrific cocktail of codeine, gasoline, paint thinner and alcohol that is krokodil makes it a contender for one of the most frightening and dangerous drugs currently available on the black market.

Dubbed "cannibal heroin", it literally rots users from the inside out, in most cases leaving addicts with a life expectancy of just a year.

Pictured below is a krokodil user's mottled, sore-addled legs, followed by some of the other horror drug stories we've come across.

And we're not just talking about the harder stuff. Cannabis and magic mushrooms have also played parts in some of these unsavoury tales.

Just say no, kids.

  • Krokodil
  • Cannabis
    Shockingly, the 'naked cannibal' who bit off the face of a homeless drifter in Miami last year was high on cannabis and not, as was originally suspected, bath salts. Rudy Eugene was shot dead at the scene, while his victim, Ronald Poppo, continues to recover in hospital.
  • Methamphetamine
    Rehabs.com
    In the 1960s methamphetamine was prescribed as a slimming aid and to counter narcolepsy. It is now a highly addictive illegal drug which can lead to the body's consumption of its own muscle tissue and facial fat. Acne and scarring can also occur, usually from obsessive picking related to the sensory hallucination of insects crawling under the user's skin.
  • Heroin
    British student Rachel Whitear died after a heroin overdose in 2000. A poster of her corpse was circulated, with the approval of her parents, in an attempt to shock children into not taking drugs.
  • Magic mushrooms
    Getty
    A 41-year-old man was hospitalised after tearing off part of his own penis during a magic mushroom trip earlier this year. He did not have a previous history of mental health problems or drug use.
  • Bath salts
    CNN
    Bath salts have chemical effects similar to stimulants like cocaine and methamphetamine. In June last year, Freddy Sharp allowed a video of himself overdosing on the drug - which he described as 'the evilest thing' - to be shown on CNN.