Does this incredible image prove iguanas beat humans to Mars? No, of course it doesn't, this is clearly a lump of oddly formed rock, but that hasn't stopped conspiracy theorists flying into a frenzy.
The dead creature was apparently spotted in a picture obtained from Nasa’s archives by UFO Sightings Daily.
The snap, taken by the Mars Curiosity rover, showed an object that bore a vague resemblance to an iguana on the surface, with Sightings Daily’s owner Scott Waring claiming it was a fossilised lizard.
Did iguanas beat humans to Mars? No.
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
- Philippines Super Typhoon Haiyan: 'Bodies' Lying In Streets After Worst Storm Hits Cities
- Guardian Editor Alan Rusbridger To Appear Before Commons Select Committee Over Snowden Leaks
- Police Arrest Four In Andy Murray 'Gun' Scare
- Chinese Vagina Monologue-Inspired Photography Project Has Been Slammed As Being 'Shameless', We Think It's Pretty Cool
- Anti-Semitism In Europe On The Rise, European Jews Say In Poll
"This is not the first animal found on Mars, actually there have been about 10-15 to date," he told agoracosmopolitan.com.
"I even found a rock that moved four times in four photos… then vanished on the fifth," he said.
Sceptical YouTube users were less convinced:
The supposed find follows earlier reports of the Mars Rover having seemingly found an object that looks uncannily like a metal arm.
Perhaps Curiosity's lonley voyage across Mars' barren landscape could soon come to end?
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more