UK

Pyromaniac Dog Starts House Fire In Peckham, South London

06/04/2015 11:19 BST | Updated 06/04/2015 11:59 BST
Zinco79

A family was forced to flee their South London home when their pet dog set the kitchen alight.

The blaze was started when Leo, a Staffordshire-Boxer cross, jumped up to the hob and turned it on, a Fire Brigade investigation concluded.

A child's car seat on top of the cooker caught fire, turning into tinder and sending the kitchen up in flames.

london fire brigade

Leo's owner's son and his girlfriend fled the Peckham house on 3 March and called 999. It took half an hour for two fire crews to control the inferno, which wrecked the entire kitchen.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: "We’re pleased that no one was injured in this fire and while unusual, it’s not unheard of for our crews to deal with incidents like this.

"It shows just how important it is to keep pets away from naked flames or cooker controls and to make sure kitchen surfaces and cookers are clear of food and other items that can easily catch fire."

No one was injured in the blaze and Leo escaped unharmed.

SEE ALSO:

Underground Cable Fire