During Sunday night’s ceremony, Sam collected his first ever Academy Award for Best Original Song, for his ‘Spectre’ theme, ‘The Writing’s On The Wall’, saying during his acceptance speech: “I read an article a few months ago by Sir Ian McKellen... and he said no openly gay man had ever won an Oscar.
"I stand here tonight as a proud gay man and I hope we can all stand together as equals one day."
Sam Smith with his Oscar
Unfortunately for Sam, Sir Ian was actually referring to the acting nominations, with Sir Elton John and Dustin Lance Black among the gay men to have won Oscars in the past.
Dustin - who won his Best Original Screenplay prize in 2008, for his work on the Harvey Milk biopic, ‘Milk’ - has now publicly responded to Sam on Twitter, and he’s not impressed.
Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley attending a film premiere last year
Referring to his fiancé, Olympic diver Tom Daley, he said: “Hey [Sam Smith], if you have no idea who I am, it may be time to stop texting my fiancé.”
He added, with a clip of his acceptance speech: “Here's a start.”
— Dustin Lance Black (@DLanceBlack) February 29, 2016
Sam triumphed over musicians like Lady Gaga and The Weeknd to win the Best Original Song gong, having previously cleaned up at the Golden Globes in the same category last month.
Here's how Sam reacted to finding out he wasn't the only gay man to have an Oscar from a journalist afterwards (warning, strong language):
— Variety (@Variety) February 29, 2016
- Lady Gaga Makes An Important Stand With Stunning Oscars Performance
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back After Sam Smith's Oscars Speech
- See All The Snaps From The 2016 Oscars Red Carpet
- Lady Gaga And Taylor Kinney Lead Cute Couples On The Oscars Red Carpet
- Brand Mistake Whoopi For Oprah In Oscars Twitter Fail
- There Was Something Very Wrong With E!'s Coverage Of Tilda Swinton's Oscars Outfit
- We're In Full Swoon Over These Pics Of Tom Hardy At The Oscars
Also on HuffPost:
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more