With Christmas round the corner it is time to start thinking about party season. There are some easy mistakes to make when looking for love in party season so here are some tips on how to start a lasting romance:
1. Who are you looking for - Make sure you have thought about the type of person you're looking for; what are their values and character like? Keep this in mind at all times as values are the key to a long term relationship. Looks will change but values won't. Think about which ones are most important to you and make sure you find these in the person you're looking for at every party.
Recently I was speaking to a very successful man who has been married 51 years. Wherever he and his partner go, people ask them about their relationship because they're so in love. They met at a dance and as he got to know her he realised how much their values aligned. 51 years later obviously their looks have changed, but their values haven't.
2. Do what you love - Say yes to all party invites and if no one invites you to any, have your own! Invite your friends and family and tell them to invite people. Go to great venues and work out which parties are likely to have the type of people you're interested in. If you're in business - do you want to meet other entrepreneurs at networking events? Follow your passion. One of my client's loves music and met her boyfriend in a Christmas choir, now they sing and write songs together.
3. Stick to your strategy - If you spend your evening chatting to the people who are the exact opposite of what you're looking for, then chances are it won't last long after the party. However, stay light hearted when you're out, be clear about your intention and then let go. Remember to have a good time single or not!
4. Be in the moment - Don't build it up to be more than it is. Sometimes when we meet someone we like, we get so excited and our mind can race ahead to the future. If this is you, stop, take a deep breath and say: 'I'm enjoying getting to know them'. The more relaxed and casual about it you are the better.
5. Watch what you drink - Try not to have too much to drink as this could lead to you behaving in a way you'll later regret and perhaps ruin the chance for a relationship with someone you do meet.
Most important of all, enjoy yourself. Don't let the stress of finding the 'perfect partner' before Christmas get in the way of enjoying the most wonderful time of the year.Suggest a correction