23/09/2009 04:51 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Pregnant Mother Must Give Up Baby After IVF Blunder

A pregnant woman is set to give birth to another couple's baby after an IVF clinic reportedly implanted the wrong embryo.

Carolyn Savage, 40, from Ohio, USA, will then have to give the baby boy to his biological parents when he is born.

The Daily Mail says the baby is due in two weeks and Mrs Savage is dreading the birth.

She told the paper: "The hardest part is going to be the delivery. I remember communicating with the [unnamed] mother of this child as to what I was envisioning and hoping for.

"I said, 'We want a moment to say hello, and goodbye'. In the beginning we were really scared of that moment and it is still scary.

"We are trying to mentally frame it in a positive way and look at it as a gift for this family that eight months ago we didn't know.

"I think that is the only way we'll get through it."

Mrs Savage and her husband Sean already have two sons aged 15 and 12 and a daughter, who is 18 months.

They were delighted when she got pregnant with the last of their frozen embryos - but then Mr Savage received the shocking phone call at work.

He had to give his wife the terrible news that the clinic had transferred the wrong embryo.

The Savages decided they could not have an abortion because of their religious beliefs.

Instead they have met the biological parents and will hand the baby over after the birth. It will be up to them as to whether the Savages will ever see him again.

Mrs Savage told the Daily Mail: "We will wonder about this child every day for the rest of our lives.

"We have hopes for him, but they are his parents and we'll defer to their judgment on when and if they ever tell him what happened and any contact that's afforded us.

"We just want to know he's healthy and happy."

The Mail says lawyers for the Savages are working to make sure that the fertility clinic that made the blunder "will accept full responsibility for the consequences of their misconduct".

I expect that will mean a hefty pay-out. How do you compensate a family for something like this?

Source: Daily Mail