11/10/2010 08:56 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Baby Plunges From Window Yards From Tony Blair's London Mansion

A 14-month-old baby girl has been left seriously injured after plunging from a 15ft high window just yards from Tony Blair's central London mansion.

The child's parents were unaware of their daughter's accident until police officers knocked at their door.
Witnesses say the baby suffered a fractured skull and injuries to her nose. The youngster is believed to have climbed up to the window before falling.

Speaking to reporters, the porter at Grosvenor Court Mansions on Edgware Road said he was 'shocked and saddened' by the incident: 'I believe the baby climbed up and then fell onto the pavement below. I was out at the time but when I returned the police had cordoned off the area and there were several ambulances. No one was allowed access to their flat. The family have lived there for several months and I know that their son needs medical treatment, I have my own family so I feel the deepest sympathy for the family and hope that the little girl is ok.'

A waiter working in a nearby restaurant told how the child's mother was seen screaming on the pavement outside the flat as paramedics tended to her daughter: 'I heard something had happened and went out to see the child lying on the street crying and being helped by the police. It was shocking, terrible. The family who live in the apartment have six other children-the baby had been left in herself by the room and they didn't realise what had happened until the police buzzed their apartment. They came downstairs and the mother was screaming and crying until an ambulance came to take them away.'

The baby was said to be 'serious, but stable' in hospital.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: 'Police were called to reports of a child fallen from a window of a flat in Grosvenor Court Mansions on Edgware Road at about 8.25pm on Friday October 8th. Officers and paramedics attended and a 14-month-old baby girl was taken to hospital suffering head injuries. She has since been transferred to a specialist hospital and is described as in a serious but stable condition. Inquiries are being carried out into the circumstances of the incident.'