30/09/2011 05:16 BST | Updated 29/11/2011 05:12 GMT

Ali Dizaei Suspended After Reinstatement By Met Following Corruption Appeal

A former police chief facing trial for corruption has been reinstated as a commander at Scotland Yard following an appeal against his dismissal.

Ali Dizaei spent 15 months in prison after he was jailed in 2010 for misconduct and perverting the course of justice. His convictions were overturned in May following an appeal.

The court of appeal had ruled that new evidence "significantly discredits" the main witness against Dizaei.

Dizaei claimed on Friday that a police appeal tribunal had "unanimously" dismissed his sacking, and said: "I am delighted to be reinstated. I have always wanted to be a Met Police officer and now vow to clear my name."

He has been subsequently suspended on full pay by the Metropolitan Police Authority, ahead of a retrial next year.

The MPA said in a statement:

"On receipt of their decision on 29 September, the Metropolitan Police Authority’s Professional Standards Cases Sub-committee (PSCSC) immediately convened to consider the current status of outstanding matters concerning Commander Dizaei.

"After careful deliberation the PSCSC unanimously decided to suspend him. Suspension is not a disciplinary sanction and it is emphasised that suspension should not be taken as a presumption of guilt.

"It is the Authority’s responsibility to take the decision to suspend ACPO officers. The MPA has a statutory duty to investigate all allegations of misconduct and takes this responsibility very seriously. The Authority's Professional Standards Cases Sub-committee considers all cases in full accordance with the applicable legislation."

Dizaei will stand trial early accused of misconduct in a public office and perverting the course of justice.

The charges are linked to an incident outside the Persian Yas restaurant in Kensington, west London, on July 18 2008.

Iranian-born Dizaei, who was wearing his uniform on the date in question, is accused of arresting a man after a row despite knowing he did not have reasonable grounds to do so.

He is also alleged to have perverted the course of justice by falsely claiming in written statements that he was a victim of an unprovoked assault by the man.

The senior officer, a former president of the National Black Police Association, pleaded not guilty to the charges at a court hearing in June.