23/11/2012 09:47 GMT | Updated 23/11/2012 09:50 GMT

Harry Harper, Baby Killed By Jack Russell In Telford, Died From 'Significant' Head Injury

A week-old baby who was killed after being bitten by a dog died from a "significant" head injury, police said on Friday.

Officers investigating the death of eight-day-old Harry Harper confirmed a post mortem examination had been completed.

Harry was pronounced dead after being taken to Telford's Princess Royal Hospital from a semi-detached house in Woodside Road, Ketley, Telford, on Tuesday morning.

baby dog maul

The baby was just one week old

Police have said that "initial indications" suggest the baby died as a result of being bitten by the family's pet Jack Russell, which has since been put down.

A post-mortem concluded the cause of death was a significant head injury, West Mercia Police said.

Further detailed tests are still to be carried out and therefore no further information can be released, the force added.


The baby's mother, part time model Mikayla Bell, 19

Superintendent Nav Malik, police commander in Telford, said: "The investigation into this sad incident is ongoing and it is likely to continue for some time. However, the incident continues to be investigated as a tragic accident involving the family's pet dog.

"I would like to place on record my thanks to the media - both locally and nationally - for not approaching Harry's family but would like to reiterate the fact that they do not wish to be contacted at the present time.

"I would once again ask that their request for privacy is respected.

dog who mauled baby

The Jack Russell who bit the baby has been put down, police said

"Now the post mortem has been completed we are unlikely to make any further comments on this matter as the coroner will be opening an inquest in the very near future."

A statement from Harry's relatives following the baby's death said: "As a family we are absolutely devastated by Harry's death and have no words to describe the loss we have suffered.

"At the present time we have no wish to speak publicly about yesterday's events and would ask that we are left in peace to grieve and begin to deal with our loss."