25/12/2012 09:53 GMT | Updated 23/02/2013 10:12 GMT

Woman Breaks Leg Leaping From Burning House On Christmas Morning


A woman broke her leg as she escaped from a burning house by jumping from an upstairs window.

She was one of three people who escaped from a blaze in King Edward Avenue, Horsforth, Leeds, in the early hours of this morning, West Yorkshire Fire Service said.

A spokesman said three crews were sent to the blaze following reports that people were trapped in the property.

But, on arrival, the firefighters found a man and two women had managed to get out of the semi-detached house without help.

"The two female occupants had jumped to safety from a first-floor window," the spokesman said.

"All the casualties were suffering from smoke inhalation. One of the women had a suspected broken leg."

All three occupants were taken to hospital.

Firefighters entered the house using breathing apparatus and cleared smoke from the property and a neighbouring building using a high-powered fan.