29/12/2012 11:14 GMT | Updated 23/01/2014 18:58 GMT

Indian Gang Rape Victim Mourned With Candlelit Vigils In New Delhi (PICTURES)

UPDATE: Indian Gang Rape: Five Men Charged With Rape & Murder

Thousands of people have held peaceful candlelit vigils in New Delhi to mourn the 23-year-old woman who died on Saturday after being gang raped earlier this month.

The unidentified woman suffered multiple organ failure and a heart attack and "passed away peacefully", reports the Daily Mail.

Six men have been charged with murder which can carry the death penalty.

india rape

The woman's body is being flown back to India from Singapore where she was treated on Saturday

Her horrific death has prompted a national outpouring of grief and anger directed at a government which is perceived to do very little to tackle the widespread and often unreported incidences of violence against women.

Indian prime minister, Manmohan Sing, issued a message of condolence recognising the "emotions and energies" the incident had caused.

He said: "These are perfectly understandable reactions from a young India and an India that genuinely desires change.

"It would be a true homage to her memory if we are able to channelize these emotions and energies into a constructive course of action."

The government have said they will issue the names and addresses of those charged with the murder.

Angry protestors have called for the men to be hanged or even castrated.

Authorities in New Delhi were on high alert in the wake of her death, worried that protests could become violent. Reports so far indicate the vigils have been peaceful.

The attack, which happened on the 16th December, had already prompted large protests across the country.

One policeman who was injured in clashes died on Christmas Day.

During the rape, the victim was attacked by six men on a bus. A metal rod was inserted in her body, which resulted in the removal of almost all of her intestines.

The victim and a male friend, who was also attacked, were thrown from the bus while it was still moving.

In a statement by the Singapore hospital where she was being treated, chief executive Dr. Kevin Loh, said: "Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists to keep her stable, her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days.

"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body and brain.

"She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome."

The issue of violence against woman in India was made even starker as it became known a rape victim committed suicide in recent days after police took 44 days to take action against her attackers.