Frances Andrade's Husband Speaks Out After Her Suicide: 'They Called Her A Liar'

The husband of a sex abuse victim who killed herself after giving evidence against her former music teacher, said the mother-of-four felt like she was on trial.

Levine Andrade, 59, also a musician, said his wife Frances was "incensed" by the court system and the questioning of her by the prosecution.

In an interview with the Mail On Sunday, Mr Andrade said his wife was devastated at being called a liar by the prosecution when she told the court of the historic sex abuse.

He said she was left feeling "inconsolable" afterwards.

Frances Andrade is believed to have taken her own life

"It was partly because it was a female barrister, partly because she was called a liar, partly because she couldn't remember all the right dates," he said.

"Fran said it was particularly awful because in a normal conversation you can defend yourself, but she got reprimanded so many times for fighting back."

Mr Andrade said the hardest part for his wife was being called a liar by the defence barrister.

"I know it's not personal, she [the barrister] has to do that, she has to attack, she has to defend her client. But Fran found it amazing that a woman could do a job like that" he said.

"I hope they can change the law. Fran felt as if she was on trial. She kept saying: 'I can see why nobody comes forward.I can see how people crack under the pressure.'"

Violin teacher Frances Andrade

Michael Brewer, 68, was on Friday convicted of sexually abusing Mrs Andrade while she was a pupil at the prestigious Chetham's School of Music in Manchester.

Brewer's ex-wife Kay, 68, was also found guilty of indecently assaulting Mrs Andrade when she was 18.

Mrs Andrade was found dead at her home a week after she gave evidence on January 16 and 17 at Manchester Crown Court.

Following the case the judge said Kate Blackwell QC, who was defending Brewer, had acted professionally throughout and performed her task in an "exemplary manner".

Her son Olly previously attacked the Crown Prosecution Service for letting down his mother, who he said had twice attempted to take her life in the lead up to the trial.

He said: "Having been heavily advised by the police not to receive any form of therapy until the end of the case (a process of almost two years) she was forced to cope on her own with only the support of her family and very close friends."

Detective Chief Superintendent Mary Doyle of Greater Manchester Police told the BBC it was the force's "policy and practice to encourage victims to seek whatever support they need".

She said the death of Mrs Andrade was "extremely saddening and we will review our involvement in her case".

The CPS also defended itself, saying a dedicated witness care officer was assigned to explain the trial process to Mrs Andrade and she had restated her willingness to give evidence on several occasions.

The prosecutor (Peter Cadwallader) was selected for his skill in handling sensitive cases and the CPS also applied for special measures to shield the victim in court but she declined to use them so she could face the defendants, the CPS said.

Brewer, of Swarthmore Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, - who was supported in court by his present wife, Sandra, - was cleared of raping Mrs Andrade when she was 18 at his then home in Chorlton, Manchester.

He was convicted of five counts of indecently assaulting her at the age of 14 and 15 when she was known as Frances Shorney. The abuse took place in his office and in his camper van where he would drive her out of the school grounds and get her to perform oral sex on him.

Kay Brewer, of Knowl Gap Avenue, Rossendale, Lancashire, was cleared of aiding and abetting the alleged rape but convicted of one count of indecent assault against the complainant - said to have taken place on the same night as the alleged rape.

Both defendants were remanded in custody ahead of pre-sentence reports and were told that a jail sentence was "inevitable".

Sentencing will take place on a date to be fixed.