A new inquest into the deaths of the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster will take place in "early 2014", a pre-inquest hearing has been told.
Lord Justice Goldring said he would not wait for the outcomes of two separate investigations before holding the fresh inquest into the disaster on April 15, 1989, during Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.
He also said he would say where the inquest would be held next week, after hearing passionate submissions in favour of holding the inquiry in either London or the North West.
Lord Justice Goldring said: "The inquests will not await the outcome of the investigations.
"I don't think it would be sensible or indeed be a kindness to anyone to set an unrealistic date as to when they start.
"I will simply say they will start in early 2014."
He went on: "As far as the venue is concerned I want to think about it.
"I will hand down my decision next week."
He told families at the hearing: "Anne Williams' death is a powerful reminder, if one were needed, that there is an urgency attaching to the commencement of the inquest hearings as well as a need for that investigation to be as full as possible."
Mrs Williams, whose 15-year-old son Kevin died at Hillsborough, died from cancer aged 60 last week. She was one of the loudest voices throughout the campaigners' efforts for justice.
She defied doctors' expectations to attend what was her last public appearance at the Hillsborough memorial service at Anfield on Monday.