25/07/2013 16:59 BST | Updated 26/07/2013 09:58 BST

G4S Worker Involved In Child's Death Given Health And Safety Job At Children's Home

A G4S worker involved in a restraining procedure that led to the death of a 15-year-old boy has been promoted to safety, health and environment manager for children's homes and training centres.

Gareth Myatt died in April 2004 after he asphyxiated on his own vomit while being held down by training supervisor David Beadnall and two other workers at G4S-run Rainsbrook Secure Training Centre.

Those involved with formulating the procedures were criticised but the death from 'positional asphyxia' was ruled accidental.

rainsbrook secure training centre

The Rainsbrook Secure Training Centre near Rugby

The incident started after Myatt refused to clean a sandwich toaster. The disagreement quickly escalated with the boy allegedly trying to hit Beadnall.

The three G4S workers held Myatt in a 'seated double embrace' with his torso pushed against his knees and his head held down.

While being restrained Myatt told officers he could not breathe.

rainsbrook secure training centre

Gareth Myatt

One of the officers replied: "If you can talk you can breathe."

The boy vomited and defecated himself, subsequently choking.

John Grayson, independent researcher at South Yorkshire Migration and Asylum Action Group, told Planet Ivy: "It is an absolute scandal that G4S, with its appalling record with children in the asylum system, continues to manage children’s prisons and homes on behalf of taxpayers.

"Not only does G4S continue to detain children at its Cedars deportation centre, but its record over the past year in privatising asylum seeker housing in Yorkshire and the North East has shown total disregard for the wellbeing of young children."

A spokesman for the company said: "The death of Gareth Myatt was fully and independently investigated by the police, Coroner and Youth Justice Board.

"The Coroner ruled that in this case, death was accidental, probably caused during lawful restraint, and he highlighted that the dangers of positional asphyxia were not known to trainers or even national instructors at that time.

"There was no suggestion that any member of staff had acted unlawfully and in fact, the coroner’s observations in this case led to changes in the way restraint is used and how training is delivered in every secure training centre in the country."