Footage of the Hillsborough tragedy could have been doctored, it has emerged.
Pete Weatherby QC, representing 21 victims' families, told the pre-inquest hearing handheld footage filmed by police at Sheffield Wednesday's ground might have been edited, according to an expert who looked at the images.
He asked for an audiovisual expert to be among those to give evidence to the inquest to ensure the best possible copies were shown to the jury.
It also heard the BBC had agreed to release previously unseen footage from the disaster.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) lawyer Andrew O'Connor also revealed 238 South Yorkshire police officers' statements were changed in the aftermath of the disaster. Two-hundred-and-twenty are still alive and 57 have already been interviewed.
Ninety-six Liverpool fans were crushed to death during the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between the Reds and Nottingham Forest, after overcrowding in the Leppings Lane terrace.
The 2014 inquest will go ahead in Warrington, Cheshire, on 31 March as scheduled.
Last December, verdicts of accidental death from the original Hillsborough inquest in March 1991 were quashed.
There was anger among relatives of the victims as Christopher Daw QC, speaking for retired chief superintendents Terry Wain and Donald Denton, asked for them to be represented as interested persons at the inquests.
When Mr Daw pointed out that both men are now in their 70s there was a sigh from the public gallery, with one woman saying out loud: "What about the parents who are in their 70s? Disgrace."
Mr Daw was cut short by the coroner as he argued that there had been no "cover up" by his clients.
Lord Justice Goldring said: "I don't think this is the time to go into a speech about that."