08/10/2013 10:26 BST | Updated 08/10/2013 11:29 BST

Mark Duggan Inquest: Drug Dealer Kevin Hutchinson-Foster Blames Police For London Riots

A drug dealer who supplied Mark Duggan with a gun before he was shot dead has blamed police for the riots that subsequently swept the country.

Duggan's friends and family cheered from the public gallery as Kevin Hutchinson-Foster blamed police "negligence" for the violent disorder.

Hutchinson-Foster was giving evidence at Duggan's inquest.

mark duggan

Duggan was shot by police in 2011

In January, he was found guilty of giving Duggan the gun 15 minutes before he was shot dead by armed police on August 4, 2011 in Tottenham, north London.

The 29-year-old's death sparked riots in London and other parts of England and the shooting is being investigated at an inquest in London which began in September.

Giving evidence via videolink, Hutchinson-Foster maintained he had not handed over the weapon - despite admitting using it in a separate incident just days before.

But Hugo Keith QC, representing the Metropolitan Police, told Hutchinson-Foster that he had been convicted of supplying the gun, and this led to "unparalleled disorder and remarkable, extraordinary events in London".

"That was down to the negligence of the police, not down to me," he replied, as members of Mr Duggan's family voiced their approval.

Wearing a grey polo top, Hutchinson-Foster at times responded angrily to questioning, saying: "I feel like I'm being attacked and put on trial again. I'm not on trial here, innit."

He also claimed that Ian Stern QC, representing Scotland Yard's Specialist Firearms Command, was trying to "assassinate" his character.

At one point during their heated exchanges, Mr Stern told Hutchinson-Foster: "This is not a trial, you have already been convicted, but there's a time for this to stop."

"For what to stop?" Hutchinson-Foster asked.

"Firearms, before they get in the hands of young people, because people get killed, don't they?"

"Yes, but people get killed from knives, from many things in life," he replied.

Hutchinson-Foster also told the jury he has been told he must wait until after it has concluded to appeal against his conviction.

During his trial, he denied selling or transferring a prohibited firearm to Mr Duggan between July 28 and August 5, 2011.

But he admitted using the same gun, wrapped in a sock, to "pistol whip'' a barber five days before.

A first jury failed to reach a verdict but he was convicted at the Old Bailey following a retrial.

He was jailed for seven years for supplying the gun, and a further four years for other offences.