These stunning pictures first hit the Internet courtesy of Reddit user Brinkman87, showing the incredible work of editors who take old photographs and transform them using colourisation techniques.
- Britain's Beautiful Derelict Pools Captured In Nine Stunning Images
- World's Most Beautiful Libraries Revealed In New Book
The pictures of Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn are phenomenal, while the historical images from the UK, the US and Japan bring the past to life in a way the original monochrome struggle to achieve. There's also a remarkable shot of Albert Einstein sat on a rock in Long Island in 1939.
1. This boy clutching a stuffed toy in 1945 London.
2. Albert Einstein enjoying a Long Island summer in 1939.
3. This young boy in Baltimore in 1938.
4. This stunning snapshot of Audrey Hepburn.
5. This unemployed lumber worker in 1939.
6. These Japanese archers circa 1860.
7. The tragic Hindenburg Disaster of 1937.
8. These British troops on the first stage of their trip to the front lines in England, 1939.
9. This 'Old Gold' store in 1939.
10. This portrait of Walt Whitman in 1887.
11. This car crash in Washington D.C. in 1921.
12. Mark Twain lounging circa 1900.
13. Charlie Chaplin in 1916, at the beautiful age of 27.
14. Elizabeth Taylor in 1956.