16/12/2013 16:16 GMT | Updated 23/01/2014 01:38 GMT

Princess Diana Death: No 'Credible Evidence' Of SAS Role

New police inquiries have rejected suggestions that the SAS was involved in the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed, it has been reported.

Scotland Yard said it had concluded its latest investigation but would make no formal statement before Tuesday.

It's 16 years since Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed were killed in Paris

Sky News said it had seen a letter from a senior officer which said there was "no credible evidence" the SAS was involved.

It emerged in August that the police were looking at claims that the couple were murdered by a member of the British military.

Scotland Yard said it was ''scoping'' the information and ''assessing its relevance and credibility''.

It was understood the allegation was made by the former parents-in-law of a former soldier based on information that the ex-soldier talked about in the past, according to a military source.

It is believed the information was passed to the Metropolitan Police through the Royal Military Police.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: "The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) received material on 16 August 2013 in relation to the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed.

"The MPS undertook a scoping exercise to assess the relevance and credibility of that information. That scoping exercise is now complete.

"Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley wrote to all parties and provided them with a summary report of the scoping exercise.

"In that letter AC Rowley made an undertaking that in order for them to consider the report, the MPS would not make a formal statement until Tuesday, 17 December."

Sky News reported that the Metropolitan Police had said there was "no credible evidence" the SAS was involved.


The network said it had obtained a letter written by AC Rowley which said: "Whilst there is a possibility that the alleged comments in relation to the SAS's involvement in the death may have been made, there is no credible or relevant evidence to support a theory that such claims had any basis in fact.

"Having reviewed the exercise and its findings, I am satisfied that there is no evidential basis upon which therefore to reopen any criminal homicide investigation or refer the matter back to the coroner.

"In light of this information, I have today also written to the Royal House and Lord Justice Baker informing them of the above and providing a copy of the concluding summary."

Diana, Dodi and chauffeur Henri Paul died after their Mercedes crashed in a Paris tunnel after leaving the Ritz Hotel on the morning of 31 August 1997.

The hearing into the deaths of Diana and Dodi lasted more than 90 days with evidence from around 250 witnesses.

The inquests concluded on 7 April 2008, with a jury returning a verdict that the ''People's Princess'' and her boyfriend were unlawfully killed.

After the hearing, the Metropolitan Police said they had spent £8 million on services arising from the inquest and the Operation Paget investigation from 2004 to 2006.

That money includes the cost of the legal team which represented the force's commissioner at the inquest, police protection for the inquest jury and paying for the Paget inquiry, reported to have cost £3.6m.

Former Met Police Commissioner Lord Stevens's Paget investigation was launched in 2004 at the request of Michael Burgess, the Royal Coroner, who was then overseeing the future Diana inquest.

The former top policeman published his report in December 2006, rejecting the murder claims voiced by some, including Dodi's father Mohamed al Fayed.