06/04/2014 13:44 BST | Updated 06/04/2014 16:59 BST

Sheffield Half Marathon Cancelled, Runners Jog On Regardless

The shambolic cancellation of the Sheffield Half Marathon on Sunday wasn't enough to stop it from going ahead anyway.

Over four thousand runners ignored official guidance and ran the race as members of the public rallied in support and bought water for them as they passed.

The disappointment of the race being cancelled was quickly replaced with an outpouring of goodwill.

Organisers said water did eventually turn up but two hours late.

There was an angry response to the announcement of the cancellation on Facebook.

Mel Broadhurst commented underneath the post: "Absolutely disgusting!!! My friends and I have trained for months some raised a lot of money for charity.

"Terrible lack of communication, won't be doing the Sheffield half again!!!! And I will get my money back!!!!!"

Craig Reed wrote: "It'll be the nail in the half's coffin. And are you refunding all of us?"

Adam Broadhead wrote: "That is absolutely shocking organisation. You guys have embarrassed the city."

Adam Stern said: "So disappointing for the runners but I also have to say hats off to the Sheffield communities for their efforts in supplying water unofficially to the runners! Proud to be from Sheffield for that, just a shame the organisation and communication of the race was so shambolic!!"

Jonathan Sutton said: "Oh dear, I imagine you'll struggle to get many entering next year and may even struggle to find corporate sponsors. How the hell can this even happen?"

The Sheffield Marathon Twitter account has since tweeted: "Those who crossed the finish line with their race number will be timed & we'll be providing a list of all finishers & their times".

Margaret Lilley, chair of the race organisers, told the BBC: "We had a problem with the supply of water.

"The company we had asked to supply bowsers for the route did not arrive this morning.

"We have scoured supermarkets around the city, but unfortunately we have not been able to secure enough water for the medical-and-safety officers of the race to say it is safe to go ahead. We therefore took the very reluctant decision to cancel the race."

Ms Lilley added: "Runners had waited half an hour or more to start. When we made the announcement the runners decided that they wanted to race anyway, and all 5,000 of them set off."