Two people have died and three were injured in China after trying to retrieve a woman's smartphone from an open-pit toilet.
The South China Morning Post reports that the tragic event took place in Xinxiang city, Henan after a woman accidentally dropped her brand-new smartphone into a cesspit whilst using an open-pit toilet.
Apparently her husband then jumped in to retrieve the phone (worth around £190) but quickly lost consciousness due to the fumes.
The husband's mother then tried to to save him but quickly passed out as well. Finally the woman tried to help both of them but was unable to remain conscious for long enough.
Having called for help the woman's father-in-law jumped in to try and help, along with two neighbours however all three suffered the same fate as those who went in beforehand.
All six were finally pulled out of the cesspit when villagers were able to tie rope to those inside and pull them out.
The husband and mother-in-law both died in hospital whilst the woman and a neighbour remain in intensive care.
Shockingly the villagers report that all six were actually only in the pit for no more than five minutes, demonstrating just how lethal the fumes had become.