14/08/2014 16:57 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Mum Who Took Selfies With Baby She Battered To Death Is Jailed For Life

Press Association

A callous mother has been jailed for life after she took selfies of herself with her 11-month-old son whom she had just beaten so badly he died from his injuries.

Emma Wilson repeatedly hit baby Callum so violently her neighbour's ceiling shook. She then blamed the attack on his two-year-old brother, the Old Bailey heard.

The court heard that Callum suffered a catalogue of abuse at the hands of his mother, during which she took 'before' and 'after' photographs of herself with him.

The abuse ended in a violent attack on 17 March, after which Callum was taken to hospital where he died from 'unsurvivable' brain dramage three days later.

Wilson was told by the judge she must serve a minimum of 14 years in prison.

Judge Stephen Kramer QC told her: "You are adept at lying and displayed a total lack of emotion throughout the trial.

"You must have been the person who caused his injuries."

He added: "You were clearly a good mother to your other son but for some reason you rejected Callum and acted against him.

"Callum was vulnerable and you must have been the person who caused him the injuries which in the last 10 to 14 days of his life made him so miserable which the court saw in photographs, that for some reason you took."

Callum was rushed to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford with 'catastrophic injuries' on March 20, 2011.

A post mortem revealed the 11-month-old had suffered fatal brain damage, as well as nine fractured ribs, a broken leg and arm.

After inflicting the injuries, Wilson posed next to her crying son, grinning as she took a Selfie.

The photographs revealed severe bruising to his face and another showed the 11-month-old moving away from a young boy wielding a pair of open secateurs.

Incredibly, Wilson blamed the attack on her other child, claiming Callum's 'boisterous' and 'rough' two-year-old brother was to blame.

She said the boy was jealous of his younger sibling. After a five-week trial the jury unanimously found her guilty in December last year.

Speaking following the sentencing, Det Supt Ian Hunter said: "The sentence today is a reflection of the abuse Callum suffered at the hands of someone entrusted to care for him and the pain he must have felt during his short life.

"It also reflects on the dedication and efforts of the investigating officers and prosecution team to deliver justice for Callum during what was a difficult and emotional case for many of them.

"Of course, sadly it does not bring Callum back and our thoughts will always remain with him."

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This was an extremely difficult and complex case to prosecute.

"Without any eye witnesses, we needed lengthy and highly technical evidence from top medical experts to help provide an explanation as to why this baby died. This evidence enabled the prosecution to piece together what had happened and exclude any possible innocent explanation for the baby's death.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved for baby Callum.

"We hope that the conviction and sentence will in some way help his extended family come to terms with this tragic event."