Simon Cowell has opened up about his grief following his beloved mother’s death earlier this month.
- Simon Cowell Speaks Out On 1D Louis Baby Reports
- Zayn DROPPED BY Simon Cowell?
- Ice Cream Fight Brings 'X Factor' Auditions To A Halt
The ‘X Factor’ boss was devastated when 89-year-old Julie Brett passed away after suffering a stroke, and since has avoided speaking to the press at auditions for the ITV talent show.
But Simon has now spoken to The Sun in a highly emotional interview, revealing his pain at watching his mother die for the last nine months, while she suffered with a secret illness.
“In a way, that was the hardest part because it was always on your mind. But look, I experienced it with my dad and the only thing I can say is that I have incredible memories.”
In the wake of her death, Simon cancelled two days of ‘X Factor’ auditions to grieve, but later threw himself back into work in tribute to Julie, who counted ‘X Factor’ as her favourite show that her son worked on.
“It sounds corny but it’s exactly what she would have wanted me to do as she loved what I did,” he said. “When it came to work, she would say, ‘Get back and do what you enjoy’.”
Simon's co-judge Cheryl Fernandez-Versini has also spoken about how the team have rallied around their boss.
Julie was the mother of four boys - Nicholas, Simon, Tony and Michael, and step-mother to John and June.
Announcing her passing on 5 July, the family said: "Today our beloved mum Julie passed away. Anyone who had met her would know what a truly special and kind lady she was. We are heartbroken and will miss her terribly, but she is now at peace.”
Simon later thanked fans for their support when he first broke his silence on Twitter.
He tweeted: “My family lost someone very special on Sunday. My Mum. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all of the kind messages received. Thank you. X.”