Construction Workers Send 'Get Well Soon' Message To St Louis Childrens' Hospital Patients

American construction workers have carved out a message to a two-year-old girl being treated for cancer in a steel beam on their site opposite her hospital window.

Vivian Keith and her mother Ginger spotted the message out of the window, a dozen storeys high above the construction site.

"Get well soon" can be seen etched into the huge metal frame being hoisted besides St Louis Childrens' Hospital, Missouri.

Vivian looks out across the construction site from her room

Vivian is being treated for acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) after being diagnosed in February.

ALL affects the white blood cells, those that fight infection and support the immune system.

As a result, Vivian is protected within the hospital, with only the window providing a glimpse to the outside world.

But when two construction workers noticed her waving incessantly from a window high above, they didn't just wave back.

Greg Combs and Travis Barnes thought about scaling the metal frame to write a message of goodwill. Combs told the "Today" programme's website: "We're the two guys up on the building that the crane brings beams to, so we're pretty close to her window.

"She was waving at us and we were waving back and forth, and this went on for a day or two.

"One day, I just radioed down to one of the guys on the ground and said, "Hey, write 'get well soon' on this next beam."'

Vivian's mum Ginger Keith told ABC News online: "I thought it was amazing and the coolest thing ever.

Construction workers have since met Vivian, giving her a brand-new hard hat

"I just thought it was really sweet that they would take the time to do that. I know they are working really hard to get things going, but it was really cool what they did for all those kids and for her.

"I took a bunch of pictures of it and sent them a box of pastries."

Look closely -- do you see the message written on the beam of the expansion project by Children's? It's an order from...

Posted by St. Louis Children's Hospital on Friday, July 24, 2015