— Tim Peake (@astro_timpeake) January 20, 2016
The station's commander has a long history of taking some pretty extraordinary pictures during his tenure aboard the station and it now looks as though his preparing to hand over the mantle to our very own Major Tim Peake.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW TECH
Using a Nikon D4 SLR, Kelly and Peake were able to perfectly capture the stunning light show that is planet Earth's aurora from space.
- Northern Lights Put On Spectacular Show As Aurora Borealis Lit Skies Over Wales And Yorkshire
- The Northern Lights On Mars Are Absolutely Stunning
- Massive Solar Storm Hits Earth, Creates Stunning Red Aurora Across UK And North America
- Aurora Australis: Solar Flares Cause Stunning 'Southern Lights' Show Over Tasmania
- ESA Astronaut Captures Stunning Aurora At Night From The ISS
While beautiful to look at, aurora are a significant side-effect of an astronomical phenomenon that can play havoc with society back home.
"Aurora are one effect of such energetic particles, which can speed out from the sun both in a steady stream called the solar wind and due to giant eruptions known as coronal mass ejections or CMEs."