Earlier this week, Fox shared a screenshot of the reporter’s Twitter profile, commenting: “So glad I’m not paying for this anymore.”
The tweet appears to have since been deleted.
Hunte – the corporation’s LGBT correspondent – said on Thursday: “My family and I have been sent racist and homophobic abuse following the below screenshot of me being posted. I am fine – but I will let the police take over.”
He continued: “If you disagree with my job, or with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines, or with wider LGBT-related decision I am not involved in, please do not contact my family with hate. Please use the BBC’s complaints process.
“I am doing my job to the best of my abilities. I am proud of being a journalist and so grateful to those who share their experiences with me.”
A tweet from the BBC later said: “We won’t tolerate abuse and threats aimed at our journalists.
“They all stick to the BBC’s editorial standards – meaning they need to include a wide variety of viewpoints and voices in their reporting. This should never lead to personal abuse.”
In a tweet addressed to Hunte, Fox tweeted on Thursday evening: “Saddened to hear you have had abuse. It’s horrible and I know exactly how you feel. My view is that the BBC is increasingly identitarian and divisive and should be defunded. I believe in people, not acronyms.”
He signed off the tweet, “Loz”.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “We are aware of a tweet posted earlier today relating to an allegation of abuse on social media.
“We have received an initial report and officers will be contacting the complainant to take further details.”