On Thursday (28 April), The Sun claimed that ‘Top Gear’ staff had branded Chris “more volatile than Jeremy Clarkson” in the lead-up to the new series of the motoring show.
However, the BBC have now issued a statement insisting this is far from the case, branding the reports “complete nonsense” and accusing The Sun of trying to smear Chris’s name.
A Beeb spokesperson says: “The Sun, for its own reasons, continues on a weekly, sometimes daily basis to publish negative stories about Top Gear and unfounded nonsense about Chris, which is no longer worth any serious consideration or response.”
Since Chris was appointed as the new host of ‘Top Gear’, the BBC have repeatedly been forced to contest reports about him in the press, as various sources have reportedly suggested that things behind the scenes aren't exactly running smoothly.
Chris has also hit back over the frequent negative stories last month, writing in the Mail On Sunday: “As we count down to our first show of the new series, in (not James) May, the seemingly inexhaustible stream of ‘insider’ stories keeps on coming, my most recent favourite being about how ‘unprofessional’ I have been behaving ‘on set’.
Chris will make his debut at the helm of ‘Top Gear’ when the rebooted show returns next month.
Tap the image below to launch the slideshow...
- 25 March 2015Barcroft Media via Getty Images
- 24 April 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 16 June 2015Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 30 July 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 28 November 2015Frederick M. Brown via Getty Images
- 22 December 2015Barcroft via Getty Images
- 23 December 2015Hirz via Getty Images
- 4 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 11 February 2016BBC
- 26 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 19 January 2016UniversalImagesGroup via Getty Images
- 10 February 2016NBC via Getty Images
- 13 March 2016PA
- 14 March 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 31 March 2016BBC
- 12 April 2016BBC
- 13 April 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- Apart from that...BBC