Crystal Palace's Pape Souare Airlifted To Hospital After 'Horrific' M4 Crash

Footballer remains in hospital with injuries to his thigh and jaw bone.
<strong>Crystal Palace's Pape Souare was airlifted to hospital following a two car collision on the M4 on Sunday</strong>
Crystal Palace's Pape Souare was airlifted to hospital following a two car collision on the M4 on Sunday
Scott Heavey/PA Archive

Crystal Palace footballer Pape Souare was airlifted to hospital on Sunday after being cut from his Mercedes following a “horrific” collision on the M4.

Pictures taken from the scene show the roof of Souare’s Mercedes G63 sliced off, but police said the footballer’s injuries are not life-threatening.

Crystal Palace Football Club on Monday said Souare had sustained injuries to his thigh and jaw bone and would remain in hospital “whilst he receives treatment”.

“The club are liaising closely with the hospital on his progress and we obviously wish him a speedy recovery,” it said in a statement, adding: “Our thoughts are with Pape and his family at this time.”

The driver of the other vehicle did not require hospital treatment, police said.

Emergency services were called to the scene, near Heathrow Airport, shortly after midday to reports two cars had collided between junctions three and four.

The London Ambulance Service also attended and took Souare, 26, to an east London hospital.

Other pictures from the scene, shared on social media, showed Souare’s vehicle on the central reservation, with debris strewn across the motorway carriageway.

One fan tweeted: “Thoughts are with Pape Souare. This looks horrific.”

Souare signed for Palace last January from French side Lille. He was not involved in Crystal Palace’s 2-1 away win over Middlesbrough on Saturday as he recovers from an injury.

Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit are appealing for anyone who witnessed the collision, or the events leading up to the accident, to contact them.

Police said enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the crash are continuing. No arrests have been made.