NEWS
23/10/2018 17:01 BST | Updated 24/10/2018 09:24 BST

Jamal Khashoggi: Theresa May Says Reports Of Body Parts Is ‘Deeply Disturbing’

Prime minister's spokesman reacts to reports from Turkey.

A spokesman for Theresa May has described reports the dismembered remains of missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have been found as “deeply disturbing.”

Khashoggi was last seen on 2 October as he walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain papers to allow him to marry his Turkish fiancée.

Sky News is among several sources reporting that the 59-year-old’s body parts have since been discovered.

It comes as remarkable footage and images of the killed journalist’s son – Salah bin Jamal Khashoggi – were published showing him shaking hands with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and crown prince bin Salman.

On Saturday, Saudi Arabia said the Washington Post columnist, who was a sharp critic of the crown prince, had been accidentally killed in a brawl. 

But there are reports a Saudi hit squad planned Khashoggi’s killing after he walked into the consulate, and then attempted to cover it up. 

It comes on the day that Turkey’s president openly accused Saudi officials of plotting Khashoggi’s murder for days. 

Recep Tayyip Erdogan contradicted Saudi Arabia’s explanation that the writer was mistakenly killed and demanded that the kingdom reveals the identities of all involved, regardless of their rank. 

Reuters
Saudi King Salman and crown prince bin Salman shaking hands with members of Khashoggi's family including his son 

Erdogan also said he wants Saudi Arabia to allow 18 suspects that it detained for the Saudi’s killing to be tried in Turkish courts.

The Saudi government has said it is conducting its own investigation and will punish those involved.

It also contradicted leaks from the Turkish media that he was tortured, killed and dismembered. 

“To blame such an incident on a handful of security and intelligence members would not satisfy us or the international community,” Erdogan said in a speech to ruling party MPs in parliament.

“Saudi Arabia has taken an important step by admitting the murder. As of now we expect of them to openly bring to light those responsible – from the highest ranked to the lowest – and to bring them to justice,” he said.

On Tuesday the kingdom announced it would hold to account those responsible for the killing and those who failed in their duties, following a meeting chaired by King Salman.