13/01/2017 09:17 GMT | Updated 13/01/2017 14:53 GMT

Katie Rough Murder: Teenager Appears In Crown Court

Katie was found with severe lacerations to her neck and chest.

A teenager accused of murdering seven-year-old Katie Rough has appeared before a judge at Crown court.

Katie was found with severe lacerations to her neck and chest on a playing field in York on Monday and died later in hospital.

The 15-year-old girl was arrested after Katie was found injured.

Katie Rough died in hospital on Monday 

The teenager appeared via a video link at Leeds Crown Court and was remanded in youth detention. 

She did not speak during the hearing and will next appear for a pre-trial hearing at Leeds Crown Court on 16 February. 

She appeared before magistrates in York earlier this week and said nothing as lawyers briefly summarised the circumstances around the incident.

The defendant, who cannot be named, is charged with murder and possession of an offensive weapon - a knife.

She was remanded into secure accommodation at York Magistrates Court on Wednesday after a brief hearing.

People living in the cul-de-sac next to where Katie was injured said her mother, Alison Rough, fell to her knees in the street, crying and pleading for help when she arrived at the scene.

Tracey Ralph, head teacher at Westfield Primary School where Katie was a pupil, paid tribute to the “kind and thoughtful child” who was well-liked by pupils and staff.

Katie suffered severe lacerations to her neck and chest 

Ralph said: “Her death is a terrible loss which has deeply saddened our school community and we send our profound sympathies to her family.”

Dozens of bunches of flowers have been placed along an alleyway linking the field where Katie was found to Alness Drive, as well as teddies and candles.

Members of her family have thanked the organisers of an online donation site that has raised almost £20,000 since the seven-year-old died.

Christopher Furlong via Getty Images
An officer at the scene of the attack 

One member of her family posted a message on the site, which said: “Just wanted to once again say thanku to every1 who has donated the generosity of strangers is over whelming on behalf of my sister and the rest of the family thanku x.”

By Thursday evening, more than 800 people had donated to the site.