NEWS
03/06/2018 17:16 BST | Updated 03/06/2018 20:20 BST

London Bridge Attack: Minute's Silence Held To Mark First Anniversary Of Terror Atrocity

Hundreds line the streets in show of respect and defiance in face of terror.

A minute’s silence has been observed at London Bridge to mark the first anniversary of the terror attack that claimed eight lives.

The tribute followed a service of commemoration at Southwark Cathedral on Sunday afternoon honouring those who who died and were hurt, and recognising the response from the emergency services to the tragedy.

Dozens more were injured during the June 3 violence when three terrorists  drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge, before stabbing revellers in the nearby Borough Market with 12-inch ceramic knives.

Three men were shot dead by police just eight minutes after the first emergency call was made.

Before the minute’s silence, chief executive of Southwark Council, Eleanor Kelly, read the names of the dead as relatives laid floral tributes. 

PA Wire/PA Images
Crowds gather on the south side of London Bridge ahead of a minute's silence to mark one year since the terror attack on London Bridge and Borough.

During the show of respect, religious and political leaders bowed their heads in remembrance along with hundreds who lined the streets.

Several of those injured in the attacks then laid flowers, followed by senior political and policing figures including the Prime Minister and Chief of the Metropolitan Police.

A group called Turn To Love held placards bearing slogans of hope near the bridge.

Project manager Qayum Mannan, 27, said: “It’s about standing together against terror, against evil.

“Regardless of background we can beat those who would drive us apart. They want us divided.

“It’s the duty of good people all over the world to oppose these attacks – Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, Christians and atheists, everyone.”

A floral wreath from Theresa May read: “We will never forget those who died and will never surrender to hatred and division.”

London mayor Sadiq Khan’s tribute read: “Our city will never forget you. We stand united against terrorism and together in remembering the innocent lives lost.” 

PA Wire/PA Images
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, Prime Minister Theresa May and Home Secretary Sajid Javid.
PA Wire/PA Images
PA Wire/PA Images
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and Bishop of Southwark Christopher Chessun ahead of a minute's silence.

Southwark Council leader Peter John spoke to those that had gathered ahead of the minute’s silence.

He told the crowd the attack was one of the “darkest days” in the history of the borough in which there was a “tragic loss of eight lives and great harm caused to many other people”.

“Today as a borough, a country and a nation we come together as one community to remember the damage done and demonstrate that we are strong and united in the face of evil,” he added.

The words #LondonUnited will be projected onto the bridge to mark the one-year anniversary of the atrocity.

 

These are the people who lost their lives

– Canadian Christine Archibald, 30, who lived in The Hague, Holland.

– James McMullan, 32, from Brent, north-west London.

– French national, Alexandre Pigeard, 26.

– Chef Sebastien Belanger, 36. Originally from Angers, western France.

– Australian nurse Kirsty Boden, 28, from Loxton. Colleagues at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital in central London described her as “one in a million”.

– Australian Sara Zelenak, 21, from Brisbane.

– Spanish banker Ignacio Echeverria, 39, from As Pontes.

Xavier Thomas, 45. The Frenchman had been visiting London for the weekend with his girlfriend.