09/02/2019 20:23 GMT

Police Granted Second Time Extension To Question Libby Squire Suspect

This comes after detectives were granted an initial 36-hour extension on Friday.

The Independent

Humberside Police has been granted more time to question a 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of abduction following the disappearance of missing student Libby Squire, the force said.

It comes after detectives were granted an initial 36-hour extension on Friday.

A statement released by the force said: “A further extension has been granted by the courts for officers to question a man arrested in connection with the disappearance of Hull student Libby Squire.

“The extension allows officers to continue to question the 24-year-old until 9pm tomorrow (Sunday, February 10).”

Detective Superintendent Mathew Hutchinson said: “I can confirm that the court has granted us a further 24 hours to question the man.

“We are still treating Libby’s disappearance as a missing person’s enquiry. I have said previously that we are keeping an open mind as to her whereabouts and that is still very much the case.

“Our number one priority is to find Libby Squire and we are still conducting extensive searches and appealing for any information from the public.”

The man was arrested at an address in Raglan Street in the city on suspicion of abducting the Hull University student, who has still not been found.

Squire was reported missing from the city in the early hours of 1 February and an intensive search has been mounted by police and volunteers over the last week.

The address where the man was arrested is about half a mile from Squire’s home.

Officers have said Squire was dropped off in a taxi near her home on Wellesley Avenue at 11.29pm on Thursday 31 January and was seen 10 minutes later on CCTV near a bench on Beverley Road, where a motorist stopped to offer help.

She is believed to have been in this area until about 12.09am on Friday.

Police said the taxi driver and motorist have been spoken to and are not suspects