K E Y P O I N T S
- Joe McFadden crowned winner of ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ 2017
- He and partner Katya Jones faced Alexandra Burke, Debbie McGee and Gemma Atkinson in the final
- Joe won despite Alexandra topping the leader board with 119 points compared to his 118
- It was the first time the four finalists had danced all three dances
- At 42, he is the show’s oldest ever winner
S C O R E B R E A K D O W N
1. Alexandra and Gorka = 119/120
- Judges’ Pick: American Smooth to ‘Wouldn’t It Be Lovely’ from My Fair Lady. Score: 10+10+10+10 = 40 (originally scored 33)
- Showdance: ‘There’s No Business Like Showbusiness’ by Ethel Merman. Score: 9+10+10+10 = 39
- Favourite Dance: Jive to ‘Proud Mary’ by Tina Turner. Score: 10+10+10+10 = 40 (originally scored 39)
2. Joe and Katya = 118/120
- Judges’ Pick: Viennese Waltz to ‘Somewhere My Love’ from Dr Zhivago. Score: 9+10+10+10 = 39 (originally scored 32)
- Showdance: ‘You Make My Dreams’ by Hall & Oates. Score: 9+10+10+10 = 39
- Favourite Dance: Charleston to ‘Alexander’s Ragtime Band’ by Ella Fitzgerald. Score: 10+10+10+10 = 40 (originally scored 36)
3. Debbie and Giovanni = 117/120
- Judges’ Pick: Salsa to ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’ by Boys Town Gang. Score: 9+10+10+10 = 39 for their (originally scored 35)
- Showdance: ‘One Day I’ll Fly Away’ by Vaults. Score: 9+9+10+10 = 38
- Favourite Dance: Argentine Tango to ‘Por una Cabeza’ by Carlos Gardel & Alfredo Le Pera. Score: 10+10+10+10 = 40 (originally scored 38)
4. Gemma and Aljaz = 114/120
- Judges’ Pick: Paso Doble to ‘Viva La Vida’ by Coldplay. Score: 9+9+10+10 = 38 (originally scored 35)
- Showdance: ‘Show Me How You Burlesque’ by Christina Aguilera. Score: 8+9+10+10 = 37
- Favourite Dance: American Smooth to ‘Downton’ by Petula Clark. Score: 9+10+10+10 = 39 (originally scored 38)
S N A P V E R D I C T
At the start of the series, there were claims it was one of the weakest line-ups in recent years, but once again, ‘Strictly’ has proved it doesn’t need star power to dazzle.
The class of 2017 have made this run the most watched in its history, with over 11 million tuning into each episode - a rare feat in TV land, as how many other long-running shows can say they are more popular now than when they began 13 years ago?
Viewers have been completely enthralled and enchanted with Strictly’s magical mix of dance, sequins and campery, and the series has found a deserving champion in Joe McFadden.
The former ‘Holby City’ actor has certainly had the biggest journey of all the finalists, given he had little prior dance experience compared to Debbie and Alexandra.
That said, a victory for Alexandra would have been extra sweet given she was arguably the most talented dancer. It also would have been a victory over the trolls and certain sectors of the press who tried to drag her down during her time on the show.
I guess we will just have to settle for a long-awaited third album from her instead.
B E S T L I N E S
How do you keep your smile on your face with his hand between your legs?Darcey Bussell to Debbie McGee about Giovanni Pernice
I thought it was dreadful... as I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.Craig Revel Horwood on Alexandra Burke's American Smooth
If I had an 11 paddle for that fleckerl, you'd be getting one.Shirley Ballas on Joe McFadden's Viennese Waltz
It was quiet, it was small, it was understated, it was classy, it was elegant. In fact it was everything Blackpool is not, darling.Craig Revel Horwood on Gemma Atkinson's American Smooth