‘Top Gear’ is set to undergo a reshuffle when the reboot enters its second series next year, it has been claimed.
According to The Sun, Kate Phillips, the newly-appointed Entertainment Controller at the BBC, wants to bring Chris Evans’ co-presenters more into the spotlight, after his presenting style received a lukewarm reception from viewers.
Instead, more attention will reportedly be paid to his co-host Matt LeBlanc, as well as the other members of the seven-strong presenting team, who haven’t received as much airtime over the current series’ run.
“Matt is more well-known and popular with audiences, so Chris will take a back seat like he did towards the end of the series. The other presenters will have a more prominent role and it will be seen as an ensemble rather than Chris and his team.”
HuffPost UK has contacted 'Top Gear' for comment.
The current series of ‘Top Gear’ has received mostly poor reviews from critics, while ratings have plummeted as the weeks roll on, eventually reaching the lowest for the show in a decade.
There was some light at the end of the tunnel after last week’s instalment, though, with half a million more viewers tuning in for the episode than the previous show.
On Sunday (3 July), the final episode of the current series will air on the BBC, after which The Sun have claimed that “crisis talks” are to take place, to decide what direction the show goes in next.
Don’t miss Sunday’s final instalment, at 8pm on BBC Two.
Tap the image below to launch the slideshow...
- 25 March 2015Barcroft Media via Getty Images
- 24 April 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 16 June 2015Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 30 July 2015Matt Jelonek via Getty Images
- 28 November 2015Frederick M. Brown via Getty Images
- 22 December 2015Barcroft via Getty Images
- 23 December 2015Hirz via Getty Images
- 4 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 11 February 2016BBC
- 26 February 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 19 January 2016UniversalImagesGroup via Getty Images
- 10 February 2016NBC via Getty Images
- 13 March 2016PA
- 14 March 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- 31 March 2016BBC
- 12 April 2016BBC
- 13 April 2016Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle via Getty Images
- Apart from that...BBC