Twin Boys Who Drowned In Fish Pond ‘Were IVF Miracles’

An unspeakable tragedy

The parents of two-year-old twin boys who drowned after falling into a fish pond have said they are shocked and devastated by the loss of their "miracle babies".

Two-year-olds Rhys and Shaun Scott died in Dalgety Bay, Fife, on Saturday morning.

The Scottish Daily Record revealed the boys were born three months prematurely and are believed to have been conceived through IVF.


In a statement issued through Police Scotland, the twins' parents Mervyn Scott and Sarah Aitken said: "We would like to thank everyone for their support at this unfortunate and difficult time.

“We have special thanks to all the medical staff, family, friends, neighbours and the police for their efforts, hard work and time spent helping and trying to revive our miracle babies.

“Both boys were long-awaited little soldiers who were full of love, happiness, fun and cheek.

“Individually and together they have touched the lives of everyone they met.

“We along with our family and friends are still in shock and devastated at such a tragic loss from such a ‘freak’ accident.

“They have been taken from us far too early and will be forever missed and loved. We wish to be left alone and be given the privacy needed to grieve.”

Neighbour Keith McKinlay, 50, told the Telegraph: “I’m still in shock. You can’t put that into words. Sarah must be devastated because she is quite a sensitive person. It must be devastating for the both of them.

“I know she wanted children and that she was chuffed when she found out they were expecting twins. Why take it away from her? It’s just so unfair.

“I know they were trying hard to get the kids. I know she wanted kids but that there was some problem.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said: ''We received a call around 8.20am on Saturday following a report of concern for two children at an address in Dalgety Bay, Fife.

''Two male twins, aged two had reportedly drowned in a fish pond and officers attended with the Scottish Ambulance Service.

''The children were taken to the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy where they sadly died."

It is believed the family were renting the home from a man who formerly ran a business from there selling ornamental koi carp.


What's Hot