Congratulations on your engagement! I am sure you can barely contain your excitement at the prospect of getting married and planning the wedding day of your dreams. I by no means want to curtail your excitement, but I would advise a few words of caution. After devouring wedding magazines and blogs, don't make the mistake of booking five wedding dress appointments for one Saturday and inviting your mum and five friends (who will all be bridesmaids) to join you. If you want to make sure you end up with your dream dress, rather than in tears, read my 7 essential wedding dress shopping rules.
1. NEVER book more than a couple of appointments for one day. Wedding dress shopping should be an enjoyable and not a stressful experience. Combine it with lunch, a coffee with a friend/mum and take it easy. Believe me, you will find it easier finding your dream dress doing it this way than running around rushing from one appointment to the next.
2. Do take your mum or best friend with you wedding dress shopping, but don't take more than two people with you. Trust me, the opinions of too many people will confuse rather than help you. The last thing you will want is to burst into floods of tears for the wrong rather than the right reasons.
3. Don't go with fixed ideas. Yes, you many have always loved the idea of wearing a slim fitting fishtail gown, but it may not suit you when you try one on. Try on different styles and different designers to get a clearer picture of the shapes/styles that suit you.
4. Allow the bridal boutique to advise you. Yes, you will have your mum/best friend with you, but they have been fitting/advising brides for a long time, and more often than not, know what they are talking about.
5. Do not leave wedding dress shopping until six months before you get married. It should be one of the first things you do after getting engaged. Bear in mind your dream dress might need altering. The last thing you will want is to feel rushed into making the wrong choice.
6. If you are having a bad day or are stressed out on the day of your wedding dress appointment/s, don't go. It will be a waste of your time and you will only get even more annoyed if you are not successful in finding your dream dress.
7. Wait until you find 'the one', in other words, 'your dream dress.' How will you know? Your mum will probably burst into tears of happiness, whilst you will experience a tingling sensation through your whole body. Don't compromise until you find exactly what you are looking for. Your dream dress is out there, just be patient and enjoy the whole experience.